Dedicated to the fresh, new perspectives of today's teenagers (from twelve through twenty), this new volume shares advice, commentary and stories on dealing with one of the most prevalent challenges of adolescence: drugs and alcohol. But more and more, teens are using their courage and knowledge to meet this challenge head-on, choosing to live a drug- and alcohol-free lifestyle. This book gives teens insight on what to do when things seem beyond their control and it will help them to:
- Know the facts about how drugs and alcohol physically and mentally affect the human body
- Understand why, how and when chemical dependency sets in
- Succeed in saying "no", even when friends or peers are saying "yes"
- Deal with the situation when friends' or family members' usage is out of control
- Know what to do if they become chemically dependent
- Realize that using drugs or alcohol can alter ambitions, change priorities, misalign goals, and undermine relationships
- Manage their roller coaster emotions by providing alternatives
Divided into six units, each chapter opens with a story from a teen and concludes with "Questions to Think About," to allow the realistic and honest message to set in. Resources and referrals, as well as information on twelve-step programs, are also included.